How to Travel the World Virtually from Home
A beautiful thing about the digitally driven world we live in is that we’re all more connected than ever before in history. The world has become smaller, allowing us to explore its mysteries right from the comfort of our own homes. Through high-tech panoramic cameras and live webcam footage, you can, in a virtual way, experience your travels from the comfort of your own home.
See the Sights with Your Slippers On
Whether you’re hungering for a European adventure or a sandy beach vacation, you can enjoy views anywhere in the world from home. Google Earth and similar virtual programs allow you to interactively move through landscapes and get a full 360-degree view of the best places to travel in the world.
Explore Some of The Best Places to Travel
- Walk along the Great Wall of China with this immersive VR, featuring dozens of scenic vantage points along the Chinese border.
- Tour through the home of Great Britain’s royalty, Buckingham Palace.
- Take in the awe-inspiring views of one of the world’s greatest lost civilizations, the Peruvian Machu Picchu.
- Leave the terrestrial world behind and immerse yourself among the stars with the European Southern Observatory. Explore constellations, and learn about the mysteries of the Milky Way, right from your couch.
- Put your virtual toes in the sand at several of the world’s greatest beach destinations.
- Take a journey to the highest point on Earth, Mount Everest. This map features interactive maps, trail guides, and even an app for your mobile device.
- Explore humanity’s most profound cultural sites through Google Earth’s dynamic virtual tours of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
- Hike through some of America’s pristine National Parks, courtesy of Google Earth. From Acadia to Zion National Park, you can wander through lush canyons and soak in panoramic peak views.
- Experience a virtual pilgrimage to one of the holiest religious cities in history, Jerusalem. Visit each and every mosque, temple and church complete with interactive educational insights without stepping foot outside.
Go on an At-Home Safari
Want to watch something a little livelier? Many national zoos and aquariums have been live streaming their most popular attractions. Penguins, lions, sharks and giraffes are all on display for your entertainment 24 hours a day.
Meet familiar and other-worldly aquatic creatures in the nation’s most popular aquariums:
Observe animals of all shapes and sizes on around-the-clock webcams:
Experience History While Lounging Around
Virtual museum tours are the ideal way to gain a cultural and educational experience without leaving your home. Most museums today feature some kind of virtual tour on their website, allowing anyone with internet access to explore the great works of mankind anytime. While the variety of museums, collections and works of art you can see online is as wide as you can imagine, these popular destinations have engaging, enlightening virtual tours.
- Visit the Vatican online and see Michelangelo’s masterpiece, the Sistine Chapel, in its full panoramic beauty.
- Explore some of the most exquisite pieces of art ever created at the pinnacle of fine art museums, The Louvre.
- Take a trip to New York City and experience modern art in a very modern way at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Virtually tour the Smithsonian Museum in our nation’s capital and experience all the rich history this cherished institution has to offer.
- Experience Frank Lloyd Wright’s architectural masterpiece along with the incredible collections within it at the Guggenheim virtual tours.
- Take a trip across the pond and virtually stroll through the British Museum.
- Travel to the other side of the world and take in culturally rich modern art at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea.
- Visit the home of the most beloved founding father and see how President George Washington lived at Mount Vernon.
The ability to travel the world virtually is a wonderful perk of living in the digital age. Doing it in a community that’s second to none with interesting people like yourself makes new life experiences all the sweeter. At The Ridge, we’re committed to keeping residents active, engaged and connected with a variety of virtual programming while keeping them as safe as possible. If you’d like to learn more, contact us through our website or call us anytime at 1-877-894-9008 to schedule a virtual tour of our stunning community.